As provided to the 80th Indiana Website
As enhanced by Deep Vee Productions
This image shows James dressed in his navy blue Union Army frock coat wearing the 3 stripes and diamond lozenge of a 1st Sergeant (also known as an Orderly Sergeant) on his sleeves. On his head is an Army Dress hat (known as a Hardie Hat) with the brass hunting horn insignia of the Infantry and a brass "G" pin underneath it. Around his waist and hanging down at his side is the maroon colored silk sash of a non-commissioned officer (NCO). The hilt of his straight NCO sword is visible at his side and he is holding an Austrian .54 caliber rifled musket. Because his uniform is haphazardly worn and he is holding his musket in his left hand, it is believed that this image was taken when the 80th first received its uniforms and weapons at Indianapolis, Indiana on September 8, 1862 during the American Civil War. The sash and sword were reported lost during in the battle of Perryville, Kentucky one month later. An electronic copy of the original image, and written permission to post it on the 80th Indiana website, are courtesy of James' Great Great Grandson Charles Cantwell Dumbaugh, Sr.
According to his military service records, James was a resident of Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana when he enlisted on August 11, 1862 into what became Company G of the 80th Indiana. James was mustered into the Union Army at the rank of 1st Sergt. for a 3 year term of service on September 3, 1862 at Camp Gibson near Princeton, Indiana. On June 1, 1865 1st Sergt. Cantwell was commissioned by Indiana Governor Oliver P. Morton to be the new Captain of Co. G. Unfortunately, Cantwell had not yet been mustered in as Captain before he and the rest of his company were honorably discharged from the Army on June 22, 1865 at Salisbury, North Carolina when the regiment was disbanded.
For more information about this soldier, view his Profile by clicking HERE.
Source: Regimental Descriptive Rolls, 1861-1865, Volumes III, IV, and VIII, Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana (Indianapolis, Indiana, 1866).
This page Copyright by Scott
Cantwell Meeker of Deep Vee Productions.