August 1863

80th Indiana Volunteer Infantry
An American Civil War Regiment

"I do as much for East Tennessee as I would, or could, if my own family were in Knoxville."

--U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, 1863 letter
to Union delegation from East Tennessee

Below are brief descriptions of the 80th's day-to-day experiences during August, 1863.  They began the in Glasgow, Kentucky, but then began their march south by the Union Army of the Ohio, led by U.S. Maj. Gen. Ambrose P. Burnside, into the eastern part of the State of Tennessee.  The regiment ended the month on the march near the little town of Montgomery, Tenn.  During this month the 80th lost an additional 8 men due to death, discharge, and resignation.  

At this time the 80th Indiana, together with the 25th Michigan, 118th Ohio, 16th Kentucky, and Elgin's Illinois Battery, comprised the 1st Brigade (commanded by Col. Orlando H. Moore) in the 2nd Division (commanded by Gen. M. D. Manson) of the 23rd Army Corps. 

Also included below are quotes from primary and secondary sources that are intended to give insights into what the times, and the soldiers' lives, were like. These quotes have been entered on the date they were written or published (unless otherwise noted) and without changing the original grammar or spelling.  Abbreviations used on this page include: Aug.=August; Capt.=Captain; Co.=Company; Col.=Colonel; Cpl.=Corporal; F&S=Field & Staff; Gov.=Governor; Ind.=Indiana; Ky.=Kentucky; lb.=pound; Lieut.=Lieutenant; mi.=mile; Pvt.=Private; Regt.=Regiment; Sergt.=Sergeant; Tenn.=Tennessee; U.S.A.=United States Army; Wag.=Wagoner; and '63=1863. 

The 80th Indiana was formed in response to President Lincoln's call for 300,000 more volunteers for the Federal Army. The 80th left Indiana in September, 1862, and did not return until July, 1865. During that time it marched over 3,700 miles on foot and fought in the states of Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina. Of the 1,036 men who served in it, only 320 were still with the 80th when it came home.

Sources: 80th Indiana Consolidated Morning Reports; Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volumes III and IV, 1861-1865 (Indianapolis, Indiana, 1866); personal diary of Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, 80th Ind.; personal diary of Pvt. John K. King Co. A, 80th Ind. (1862-1865); and other items as noted.


Dates Synopsis of 80th Service Quotes

Aug. 1

On the March.  Detachment of 75 men departed camp at Glasgow, Ky., at 6:00 A.M.  Marched 17 mi.  Regt. remained camped at Glasgow.

Detailed to Provost Guard.
Pvt. William H. Egbert Co. G

"Crossed Barren River in a canoe.  Swam the mules."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 2

Glasgow.  Detachment reached Scottsville, Ky., at 9 A.M.  Regt. camped at Glasgow, Ky.

"Arrived here at Scottsville at 9:00 A.M.  Marched 8 miles."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 3

Glasgow.  Detachment camped at Scottsville, Ky.  Reg. camped at Glasgow, Ky.

Returned from Hospital at Evansville, Ind.
Pvt. Madison H. Miller Co. G

"There are a great many here at the election."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary, Scottsville, Ky.

Aug. 4

Glasgow.  Regt. camped at Glasgow, Ky.

"Left Scottsville at 4 P.M. and marched 4 miles.  Was at a wedding in the court house yard."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 5

Glasgow.  Detachment returned to Regt. camped at Glasgow, Ky.

Returned from Hospital at Glasgow, Ky.
Pvt. Nelson Bishop Co. G

"Left camp at 5 A.M. arrived here, Glasgow, at 5 P.M. making 20."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 6

Glasgow.  Camped at Glasgow, Ky.  "It is raining."

Aug. 7

On the March.  Regt. departed Glasgow in late morning.  Marched 12 mi. and reached Cave City, Ky., at 6:00 P.M.  Camped near Cave springs, Cave City, Ky.

"I took supper at the Cave City Hotel, returned to camp and laid down on the ground between 2 gum blankets where I slept till morning."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 8

New Colonel Commissioned.  Reveille at 4:00 a.m.  After hasty breakfast Regt. marched to Cave City railroad depot and loaded on a railroad train.  Departed Cave City about 1:00 P.M.  Reached Lebanon, Ky., at 9:00 p.m., a distance of 85 mi.  Camped at Lebanon, Ky.

Commissioned by Ind. Gov. Oliver P. Morton as a line officer on the 80th F&S.
Lieut. Col. James L. Culbertson as Col.

"...I again made my bed between two gum blankets, using a cartridge box for a pillow.  It was too late to see  about supper, so we went to sleep hungry.  For my part I had eaten nothing since morning."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 9

New Market.  Reveille at 5:00 a.m.  Departed Lebanon, Ky., at 8:00 a.m.  Arrived at New Market, Ky., at 1:00 p.m. after march of 6 mi.  Camped at New Market, Ky., along Columbia Pike.  "Clear pleasant day."

Resignation of Col. Lewis Brooks F&S, becomes effective

"Here water is good and plenty, which gives it a decided advantage over Lebanon as a place of Rendezvous for troops."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 10

Washing Day.  Spent the day in camp mending and washing clothing.  Camped at New Market, Ky.  "Clear day very warm."

Detached with Engineer Corps.
Pvt. John R. Smith Co. G

"At dress parade this evening Col. Brooks informed the officers that we are under orders to march next Thursday the 13th inst., to destination unknown.  It is pretty well understood however, that we are to move forward into East Tennessee.  The forces in Kentucky are reorganized for immediate and active service.  We are in the first Brigade of the 2nd Division 23rd Army Corps.  The Division is under command of [U.S.A.] Gen. M. D. Manson.  The first Brigade is commanded by Col. O. H. Moore of the 25th Michigan and embraces the following troops, to-wit: the 25th Michigan Infantry, 118th Ohio Infantry, 80th Indiana Infantry, 16th Kentucky Infantry, Elgin's Illinois Battery."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 11

New Market.  Camped at New Market, Ky.  "Warm."

"Knowing that I had not a sufficient outfit to start out on a Southern Campaign, where articles cost 3 or 4 prices, I obtained leave of absence to go to Lebanon to buy some clothing...The following are the articles and prices...
1 dress coat $28.00
shoulder straps
[rank insignia] $3.00
1 pr. uniform dress pantaloons $15.00
1 vest $7.00
1 wool shirt (extra good) $5.00
1 uniform hat $5.00
[leather] valise $13.00"
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

"Had a mess of roasting ears [of corn]."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 12

New Market.  Camped at New Market, Ky.  "Cloudy."

Aug. 13

Awaiting Clothing and Arms.   Previous orders to depart today were countermanded.  Remained camped at New Market, Ky.

Reported as a deserter for "third time."
Pvt. David Pressnel Co. G

"The day has come on which we were ordered to march.  But there is no prospect of moving today.  Our supplies of clothing and arms have not arrived, and of course we must be made ready before we can hold ourselves in readiness for such a campaign."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 14

Col. Brooks Departs.  Orders received for Regt. to depart Aug. 17th.  Col. Lewis Brooks bid farewell to the Regt. today and left for home.  Camped at New Market, Ky.

"At Dress Parade this afternoon Col. Brooks resignation having been accepted, he bid an affectionate farewell to al the soldiers of the Regiment.  The Battalion being formed in column by Company, he passed along the lines, shaking each soldier by the hand.  At dusk he sent around a request for all the Commissioned officers to meet him at his tent.  Cigars were passed around very freely and although I have not acquired the habit of smoking, on such an occassion I did not hesitate to take a social whiff.  After this several bottles of the choicest Katauba wine was opened and emptied at the expense of our late Colonel.  All appeared to enjoy the social entertainment of the occassion, and many of them be said to have left in "fine spirits"."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 15

New Market.  Camped at New Market, Ky.

"We went in swimming and gathered roasting ears for dinner.  I received a letter from home."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 16

New Market.  Camped at New Market, Ky.

Discharged from the Army due to disability.
Sergt. John H. Myers Co. I

"Went to church at 10 A.M.  Rain."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 17

On the March Columbia.  Departed New Market, Ky., at mid-afternoon.  Day was very hot.  Marched 11 mi. toward Columbia, Ky.  Went into camp at 9:00 P.M. in an old field at Pitman Creek.

"Judging from all experiences and circumstances this expedition is intended for East Tennessee."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 18

Rest Day.  Regt. remained in camp all day.  Received orders to resume march tomorrow at early hour.  Camped at Pitman Creek, Ky.

Detached as Teamster.
Pvt. William T. Willaims Co. G

"We enjoyed ourselves very well today on the same ground where we camped last night...As we are not marching today we pitched our tents to protect us from the sun."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

"In camp all day waiting for some reason.  Ordered to march at 3 A.M. tomorrow."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 19

By The Green River.  Reveille was sounded at 2:00 A.M.  March was resumed at 3:00 A.M.  Passed through Campbellsville, Ky., before sunrise.  Reached Green River at 10:00 A.M. after march of 11 mi.  Camped in woods.

Died at Glasgow, Ky.
Pvt. Andrew J. Brock Co. H

Discharged from the Army.
Pvt. Nelson Bishop Co. G

"...we encamped in a pleasant beach woods for the day.  Here the men pitched out in search of roasting ears, and before night all the corn in a mile or two of camp was harvested."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 20

Hail Columbia Again.  Resumed march at 3:00 A.M.  Forded Green River at daylight.  Marched 12 mi. and reached vicinity of Columbia, Ky., between 10:00 and 11:00 A.M.  Camped near Columbia, Ky., in same camp had occupied in Jun. '63.

"The disloyal element, under the name of "Democracy," are holding large mass-meetings in different parts of the State, at which the people are urged to arm and drill, which they are doing in many places in large numbers.  Large quantities of arms and ammunition are being purchased and distributed...I inclose you a poster advertising one of these meetings to come off on Saturday next. The watchword given on the bill is, I am assured, the watchword of the Knights of the Golden Circle."
--Col. Conrad Baker, Acting Assist. Provost-Marshall-Gen. of Ind., letter of warning to Col. James B. Fry, Provost-Marshal-Gen. of Ind.

Aug. 21

Marched 8 Miles.  Resumed march at 8:00 A.M.  Marched 8 mi. and went into camp.

"Left Columbia on the Jimtown road at 8 A.M. but left it and went on the road to Grigsby ferry."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

"Short rations are made up with roasting ears that are permitted to be forriaged off from rebel citizens."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 22

Marched Cumberland River.  Resumed march at 1:00 p.m.  Marched southward 11 mi.  Camped at Griders Ferry on Cumberland River.

Discharged from the Army.
Pvt. George Breece Co. K

Aug. 23

Hurry Up & Wait.  Reveille at 2:00 A.M.  Assigned as rear guard to Div. wagon train.  Waited all day and night for Div. to cross Cumberland River.  Camped again at Griders Ferry.

"I am beginning to feel considerable uneasiness about my own condition.  I have had diorheoa for two or three weeks, and it has run into the real flux or Dysenterry.  We are now in the enemies country where a sick officer or soldier left behind would be murdered by some of Furgeson's gang who infest these regions..."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 24

Over the Cumberland.  Finally forded Cumberland River at 8:00 A.M.  Marched 18 mi.  Camped at dark at Albany, Ky.

Aug. 25

Into Tennessee.  Resumed march at 6:00 A.M.  Light rain.  Crossed into Tennessee about 10:00 A.M.  Country very hilly.  Road had many long, steep, rocky climbs.  Marched 17 mi. before going into camp about 6:00 P.M.

Discharged from the Army.
Pvt. Francis W. Stewart Co. F

"Dr. Welborn [Asst. Surg. William P. Welborn F&S] has been suffering several days with Dysenterry & Dr. Jacquess [Surg. George B. Jaquess F&S] says he thinks under the circumstances he will die, but he must be taken along dead or alive, for to leave him on the road would be to leave him to be murdered in his bed as other have been in these mountains."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 26

Last Ridge.  Started up last ridge of Cumberland Mountains at 6:00 A.M.  Regt. reached summit at 11:00 A.M.  Passed through Jamestown at 12:30 P.M. and met 65th Ind. Regt.  Camped in woods near Jamestown, Tenn., after march of 8 mi.

Discharged from the Army.
Pvt. Silas Davis Co. K

  1st Lieutenants...1
  2d Lieutenants...1

Morning Report of Co. G, signed by:
1st Sergt. James F. Cantwell
Capt. Jeremiah C. Gladish

"I am now on the summit of the Mountain, and a plain level country and a good road appears to lie before me...Here are an old man and his wife who came out to the road to see us pass and to look at our "big guns".  I told them that the Yankies had come at last and asked whether they were glad to see us or whether they were sorry.  "O", said they, "We are glad to see you, and have been waiting to see you for a long time."  They sat down by me and entered into conversation, and I found that they had suffered much from the rebels who had taken all their horses..."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

Aug. 27

Jamestown.  Remained camped at Jamestown, Tenn.

"The woods in these regions are filled with chestnut trees and chinkerpin bushes completely loaded with nuts.  Whartle berry bushes are plenty, but the berries are ripe & gone.  The Mountain Gooseberry, much resembling the Whartleberry is very abundant, but is not yet ripe.  The fruit when green has somewhat the taste of the Cranberry."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary, Aug. 26, '63

Aug. 28

Jamestown.  Remained camped at Jamestown, Tenn.  Very cold night.

"We are now 103 miles from Lebanon [Ky.], which is quite an advance into the enemy's country.  If they make a stand at all in Tennessee they will certainly soon begin to contest the ground with us...If this takes place we are ready to argue the case with them, and for this purpose we are well supplied with knock-down arguments in the shape of musket balls, grape, canester, 6-12 & 24 lb shells of solid cannon shot, which will soon convince the rebel vandals that Tennessee is ours, & shall be ours."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary, Aug. 26, '63

"Drummed a man out of the service.  Great excitement in camp."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

Aug. 29

Marching in the Mountains.  Early morning rain.  Began march about 9:00 A.M.  Road was good, though became dusty after 5 mi.  Weather was cool during day.  Marched 12 mi.  Camped at 5:00 P.M.

"In our 12 miles march today we have not passed but one house on the road that is tenanted.  Unoccupied cabins and uncultivated fields are the unmistakable evidences of the fidelity and patriotism of their former owners and occupants.  Now and then chimneys and the charred ruins of some dwelling mark the spot where once lived a man who revered the flag of our Union and who honored the government of our fathers; and for this his mansion has been consumed by the torch of some merciless incendiary.  Fences have been consumed by the rebel hords that have infested these Mountains, and the soil itself is sterile, cold and unproductive.  The inhabitants themselves, or a majority of those who came out to the road to see us pass, looked about as poor as the country they live in, and seem to be about as destitute of intelligence as the country is of firriage [forage].  At one place three women came out to the road to get a peep at the Yanks.  They were all barefooted, each had a [tobacco] pipe in her mouth, a baby in her arms, and a dog following her...We have not passed within sight of a corn field today, nor anything else that had been planted or sowed this year except about a quarter of an acre of sugar cane.  We passed several orchards but the fruit was too sour to eat.  The timber in this vicinity is principally oak, chestnut, pine, and occassionally we meet with a mix of hemlock, the first I have seen since I left my native state, Pennsylvania."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary, Aug. 26, '63

Aug. 30

Montgomery on Little Emory.  Resumed march at 6:00 A.M.  Marched 18 mi.  Camped at foot of long, steep hill in little deserted town of Montgomery on Little Emory creek.  Very cold night.

Died of sickness in an ambulance wagon at Montgomery, Tenn.
Wagoner John Snell Co. A

"Marched 18 miles into Montgomery County out of Morgan County.  The road was good.  Met with Burnside's [U.S. Maj. Gen. Ambrose P. Burnside] forces."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

"The people along the road appear amazed to see such an army.  Some are rejoiced and others are the reverse.  At one place we passed a group of women and several of them were crying and seemed much distressed.  They had husbands, brothers and fathers in the rebel army and felt concerned about their safety.  One of my company overheard one of the women say to another, "there are enough of them to eat all our men up"."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary, Aug. 26, '63

Aug. 31

Cold Night, Warm Welcome.  Departed Montgomery at 9:00 a.m.  Halted an old field at 11:30 a.m. to rest.  Resumed march at 3:45 p.m.  Road dusty, but good.  At dark descended steep rocky gorge.  Covered 12 mi. total.  About 10:00 p.m. went into camp in old field.

Died on the march.
Wag. John Snell Co. A

"John Small [Wag. John Snell Co. A] died at 6:00 A.M.  Marched four miles and stopped until 3 P.M.  Marched 9 miles and camped.  We went down the mountain.  It was a beautiful scene."
--Pvt. John K. King Co. A, diary

"...just about dark we began to descend the gorge of the Mountain into complete darkness.  Step by step our way led us down, deeper and deeper, the mountain rising on either side so high as to entirely exclude all light of the moon that had already risen on the more favored portion of God's creatures.  It was about two miles down this frightful gorge, and so dark, steep and rocky was the passage that footmen could scarcely keep their sometimes seemed as if we were entering a labyrinth of impenetrable darkness and gloom.  Finally we reached a more level grade that led into a creek valley, and by degrees passed where the moon, still obscured by the mountain peaks, began to shed her gentle beams on our pathway, and at a few minutes after ten o'clock we encamped in an open space once cultivated in crops of grain...Here we kindled fires and cooked our scanty rations..."
--Capt. Joseph P. Glezen Co. H, diary

This page Copyright by Scott Cantwell Meeker of Deep Vee Productions.
All Rights Reserved. Created February 19, 2000.  Last updated January 2, 2005.






Facts Rosters Profiles Images History
Home Changes Modern Needed Sources